Saturday, June 20, 2009

Making kibbe with Dad.


Most people think of grilling when they think of Father’s Day. But when I think of Dad, I see him in the kitchen.

You see, meals at our house were always better when my father was in charge. My mother, who is Irish, meant well. She did okay with vegetables and pasta and rolls. But when it came to meat, her people believe it's not done until it's grey, dry and dense enough to break a window.

Dad, on the other hand, was Lebanese. These are a people who love food. These are people who eat with their hands, who tear their bread and eat raw meat. Yes, that’s right. Raw meat. Not sushi. We’re talking beef and lamb. And I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Give me a small mound of beautiful raw kibbe, shiny pink with white specks of wheat and onion mixed in and a little melted butter poured over it, add some soft pita bread to pick it up, and Hello, Heaven.

You have to eat it right away… there’s no Gladware for kibbe. Whatever doesn’t get eaten has to be cooked immediately… which is fine for the Irish. But at that point it’s all over for me. I guess I am my father’s daughter.

And when it came to kibbe, nobody could make it like my Dad. Got the meat fresh from the butcher – who he trained to do it the right way. Top round, ground, 3 times. Always 3 times. Why? I haven’t a clue. But you had to ask for it that way, and somehow it was magic. Add some bulgur wheat. Even the name is fun to say. Emphatic and to the point. Bulgur.

“You’ve got to soak it first” he’d say. Then came the fun part: mixing it WITH YOUR HANDS. You would grab a little fistful of wheat and squeeze the water out. Then add it to the meat.
“A little meat, a little wheat” he’d say.

He would show me. Big burly man with his big brown hands in the big metal bowl. We would knead the mixture together, taking turns. I would look at him for approval, and he would nod gruffly.

“Ya, like that. Good Einou.”

Nobody knew what Einou meant, but we assumed it was a term of endearment. (Unlike “Dizey,” which our grandmother used to sing to us when we were babies. “Dizey, Dizey, I love you”. Years later we heard that Dizey meant “rocker”.)

Now Dad would pretend to talk like Grandma. “Here Einou. Put some Ka-moooon in.”

We would laugh, remembering how she would send me to the store for that spice I was little. How I stood there saying “Kamooon. Kamooon” to the puzzled clerks until the owner appeared from the back and grabbed the Cumin off the shelf.

“Here Einou, knead it with your hands. Knead it Einou. Good. Work it in. Good.” He would nod like Grandma and smack his lips as she did when her teeth weren’t in.

“Add some narne’ ’” he’d say, and I’d look around trying not to show uncertainty. Then he’d glance in the direction of the mint to give me a hint, and smile when I picked it up.

Finally, it was time for the best part:

“Try it, Einou. Does it need more salt?” We would always agree that it needed more salt.

Standing in the kitchen with Dad, I could always feel his pride that someone in his house wanted to know the Lebanese ways. I could feel his delight in teaching me the way Grandma taught him. And I could feel my own pride in being Lebanese, something we didn’t talk about much during those days when it was not cool to be Arab, much like now. But when we were making kibbe, we knew how very cool it was.

We are a people with big hearts, who knead our food and eat with our hands. We love the juiceyness and spiciness of life. And in our own kitchens, we don’t have to hide it.

It was rare when we ate kibbe at our house. Rare when Dad and I were in the kitchen together. Rare when anyone took the time to teach me to cook. So isn’t it funny that this cooking lesson involved no heat at all. Just the warmth of a father and daughter sharing a tradition, delighting in the love and the laughter that went into it.

I wish we had made kibbe together more often. I wish I had known then to write the recipe down.

30 comments:

Greg Beadle said...

You touch my heart, Einou! Tears fill my eyes as I read about you, your Dad & kibbe...beautiful memories

Organic Wellness Solutions said...

Very Fun! Nicely done!!

Diana Khalil said...

I love it, brought memories when I use to watch my mom doing Kibbe and enjoying every bite of it. Thank you for sharing this article and thank you for bringing back those sweet memories to my heart.
Einou is a Lebanese term of endearment which means my eye, to denote how precious is the person to the heart.

Lisah444 said...

Beautiful story Kat!!! I would never eat raw meat, but hearing your story kibbe started to sound quite good to me.
Happy Fathers Day!....much love, Lisah

Rose Hwang said...

Kat, this touches my heart, and my stomach... i havnt had any food since i woke up till now, may i have some kibbe?

Love your dad, a wonderful man of Big heart & incondiotional love!
Now we know why Kat is so adorable! :)*HUG*

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that, Kat.

lisahickey said...

Lovely story Kat. Thank you for sharing.

toni said...

I LOVE:

"We are a people with big hearts, who knead our food and eat with our hands. We love the juiceyness and spiciness of life. And in our own kitchens, we don’t have to hide it."

It's visceral! I relate to much of this, as I had a Jewish dad who loved his meat cooked by one wave of a candle beneath it, and who had his own hand meat grinder (forget the butcher, this guy practically wanted to raise the cows!)

There is warmth and soul in this piece and a wonderful pride about your roots. Your description of your dad is big as life. It left me not only wishing I'd known him, but also wanting to share a meal with him.

Lucky you, to have had a kibbe making papa who passed on his charisma and loving personality. Nice piece.

Anonymous said...

Lovely story... charming, funny and a delight to read!


Blessings and love,

Lesley

toni said...

I love this passage:

"We are a people with big hearts, who knead our food and eat with our hands. We love the juiceyness and spiciness of life. And in our own kitchens, we don’t have to hide it."

I get a great picture of this bigger than life guy. And I can relate to the "rare" meat loving side of this man, as my own father only ate steak that had been cooked by one wave of a match beneath it. My dad ground the meat in a hand grinder and I'm pretty sure if he could have raised the cows, he would have, but i digress!

There's lots of heart and soul in this writing. As you describe the kibbe making process, you also describe the importance of knowing the Lebanese side of you and the history and pride that comes from your dad wanting you to know and you wanting to learn. A lovely father-daughter relationship is clearly illustrated in this piece.

Here's to dad and the great writer he produced!

Anonymous said...

Brought back sweet memories of my Dad & I, not in the kitchen, but laughing. Oh, I could make him laugh like nobody else. I stayed by his side the night he passed away, a precious moment I will never forget.

Thank you for sharing your story and the memories of your father!

ju ju burd

Anonymous said...

Maybe you don't have the food recipe, but the recipe you do have: on love, life, appreciation, and memories is far more valuable. This recipe is one I've recently added to my own collection. Thank you for sharing this beautiful story, sounds like your fathers day continues to be enriched by your dad, thanks to you. What a man. What a wonderful daughter. Xo

Eye of the ocean said...

Great piece, Kat. When you find a recipe you will also remember the moves he taught you, and all the spiciness of life within ~

Glenn Hilton said...

Nice! Your first post... very cool story about your dad. Never had kibbe before, but you make it sound good. Hope you have an awesome father's day. :)

Anonymous said...

Lovely post. I feel like I am in the room with you and your dad watching you guys cook :) Very touching. Thank you for sharing this lovely memory.

Amy Flanagan said...

Love the story! Your Dad is smiling down at you! I am always envious of people who have wonderful family cooking stories. I would love to have such a love affair with cooking! (Even if you don't have the recipe.) You look like your dad, don't you?

Unknown said...

Kat, I can feel the love you have for your father. The words radiate appreciation for all he was and of the time you shared together. Beauty and magic in an everyday moment. Never to be forgotten. And now I know where the Lebanese fire comes from... all that raw meet and spices!

Gini Dietrich said...

You have an amazing talent with words. This is the second time I've read something of yours that has made me cry.

And now knowing this, how is it you don't cook??

ju ju said...

yep, more salt, always more salt.
i remember it so well. thank you for sharing our heritage with the world.
i love being lebanese, and so do my children.
great hair, great skin, great food and great love!
think ill make some kibbee tomorrow.

MichaelCalienes said...

beautiful post kat. i could smell the air in the kitchen and feel the warmth of your dad's presence. i can only hope to be making such powerful memories for my own daughter. thank you for sharing.

nsane8 said...

This is one of sweetest blog i have ever read. You did a great job and hopefully we can find you a recipe, it wouldn't be as great as your dad's but making it will sure be fun!

Awesome blog!!

Molly Block said...

What a lovely tribute to your father, Kat.
--Molly

Steve Haweeli said...

Ahhh. I, too, am Lebanese and Irish (English and Welsh). We weren't a kibbe crew - but my Dad would make stuffed cabbage, a mean tabouleh, m'judra - and when we visited Nijme (my Grandmother who came over in 1905), the smells of freshly baked bread, the sight of her gnarly brown hands (always wiping her apron) - well, it's no wonder I eat with my hands and am a decent enough cook. Thank you Kat!

Anonymous said...

Beautifully told...
Thank you for sharing such an authentic tribute with us,
Holly

Renee Raison Storey said...

This reminds me of the Lebanese priest we had when my children were small. He made kibbe for our festivals and other food-sharing occasions, and you had to try it or he'd be hurt. After Mass the children would go into Father Bill's house for a cookie. My son couldn't understand why he wasn't allowed to have Fr. Bill's "cookies" in the communion line! His welcoming hugs and loving personality endorsed all Lebanese people to our congregation. He is sadly missed, but I'm sure sharing his kibbe recipe with the Lord.

Kim Gobbi, Newburyport Today said...

I read this and I think about how we all (no matter what our culture or background) can probably recall a scene like this playing out in our own kitchens.
For me, I think of my grandmother and her sister making blinzes for Passover. The two of them standing in the small kitchen right next to each other for hours, singing songs in Yiddush, in between arguing with about various members of the family! One flipping the crepe, the other adding the filling and folding. Repeated over and over again until the platter was filled.
Thank you for sharing your lovely memories and making me remember mine.
All the best on your new adventure in blogging!

Kat Jaib said...

Wow. Thank you all for the great comments and encouragement. My Dad would be so proud.

I'm so happy it has evoked memories -- and the desire to make new memories -- for many of you. The last one about the priest who would be hurt if you didn't take his food is so true! Whenever someone comes to the door, I tell them to just get it over and at least take a soda now, because we won't let up.

Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

This is Great! Very, Very powerful, not only in the sentiment behind it, but in the eloquent way it was written. You truly do have a gift with people, be it in personal encounters or written communications. Your love for life radiates and blesses through your words, almost as much as it does through your personal presence! I can't wait to read the next entry. Please keep it coming and thank you for being you and sharing the reminder of what a great joy life truly is, with me and others! ~ Nancy

Mike said...

This is what life is all about. The precious moments we get with the ones we love. This is a call for everyone that reads this to go and make these moments, live this life like there is no tomorrow... You are a diamond Kat, a beautiful precious diamond...
Peace & Love,
mike

KatJaib said...

EVERYONE!

Again, many thanks for such a warm response to my first blog EVER. You don't know how much it means to me. I LIKE this blogging thing. Wish I'd started sooner.

Sidenote: The day after this post, my cousin Juju made kibbe... well, for her son's bday, but we got PLENTY. Yay! And I found out other cousins in VT were making kibbe, too. I hope kibbe abounded throughout the land. Maybe I'll make some soom...